If you’re a landlord, property owner, or real estate investor, you know that managing a commercial property can be challenging. Between dealing with tenants, maintaining the property, and handling finances, there’s a lot to keep track of.
Watch a full-length video of this blog post
Here are the top 5 challenges of managing commercial property:
1. Tenant turnover
The most common challenge that landlords face is managing tenant turnover. This can be a difficult and costly process, but there are ways to minimize the impact:
- To start, try to keep good relations with your tenants. If they feel comfortable communicating with you and feel like you have their best interests at heart, they’re more likely to renew their lease.
- You should also offer incentives for renewing their lease, like a discount on rent or a free month of rent.
- Finally, make sure you screen new tenants thoroughly. The last thing you want is to go through the hassle of evicting a bad tenant.
2. Property damage
Another common challenge that landlords face is property damage. This can be caused by tenants, wear and tear, or natural disasters:
- To protect your property, it’s important to have a good insurance policy in place. This will cover you in the event of any damage.
- You should also have a clause in your leases that states that the tenant is responsible for any damages they cause.
- And finally, make sure you do regular inspections of your property so that any potential problems can be caught early on.
3. Managing repairs and maintenance
Another challenge that landlords face is managing repairs and maintenance. This can be a time-consuming and costly process, but there are ways to make it easier:
- Have a good relationship with a repair and maintenance company. This way you can get discounts on services and they’ll be more likely to prioritize your repairs.
- Another way to make it easier is to do some of the smaller repairs and maintenance tasks yourself. This can save you money and time in the long run.
- Last but not least, make sure you keep up with regular maintenance tasks like painting and cleaning. This will help prevent bigger problems down the road.
4. Managing finances
Another challenge that landlords face is managing finances. This can be a difficult task, but there are ways to make managing your commercial property finances a little bit easier:
- One way to make it easier is to use accounting software. This will help you keep track of your income and expenses.
- Another way to make it easier is to hire a bookkeeper or accountant. This can be a big help in managing your finances and making sure you stay organized.
- And finally, make sure you have a good system for collecting rent. This will help you stay on top of your finances and avoid any late payments.
5. Dealing with problem tenants
Finally, the last challenge that landlords face is dealing with problem tenants. This can be a difficult and frustrating task, but there are ways to deal with it:
- Begin by having a good screening process. This will help you avoid renting to problem tenants in the first place.
- Next, be firm and consistent with your rules. This will help problem tenants understand that they need to follow the rules or they will be evicted.
- Finally, make sure you have a good relationship with your local law enforcement. This will help you if you ever need to evict a tenant.
Managing commercial property can be a difficult task, but there are ways to overcome each challenge. By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to being a successful landlord.
Be the best at what you do by getting Achieving Financial Success as a Property Manager: An Insider’s Guide today. Inside, you’ll find all the tips and strategies needed to become a master of rental property management. Get your copy now from your favorite bookseller – it’s time to take charge of your career and reach success in this exciting field:
- Books2Read for Apple, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Scribed, and 8 more sellers with both eBook and paperback options available
- Payhip as a PDF
Written by J. Scott Digital freelance copywriting services, featured photo by Leohoho on Unsplash.